Saturday 2 February 2013

Fiesta de Cumpleaños

I have now been here exactly a month which is kind of crazy. My spanish is slowly improving and each day I manage to increase my vocabulary by a word or two with the help of all the students. On Monday I went to Huanchaca beach with some of the young people from the church which was loads of fun. We went at around oneish and we were still eating at 4.30pm! It took us sooo long to decide where we were going to eat and then the waiters took about two hours to get all the food out. On the plus side I managed to try Ceviche- a peruvain dish: raw fish marinaded in a spicy lemon acid sauce- and it was actually really nice. The only thing I didn't like was the idea of eating raw fish. Maybe by the time I leave I will love it. After lunch we sat on the beach for a bit and then walked round some of the markets where I also managed to try Anticucho: cow heart and Picarones: Peruvian style doughnuts. I felt like I was really embracing the culture that day.
On Monday night we watched the first in the Sherlock Holmes series with the Twinems girls, so I now have that to look forward to every week too.



Huanchaco beach


Ceviche 


Tuesday was another busy day. Eliana (one of the girls from church) came over in the morning to make a cake for some of the kids who's birthdays it was at the orphanage. This was quite a hard task as we had to bake for about 40 people so deciding what kind of tin and how many tins was the slight problem. We decided to go for a big circle on the bottom and two smaller circles on top. This was not the best idea.





At 2 a bunch of us were meeting at the Church so that we could go over to the orphanage to have a big birthday party for all the children. This proved to be very difficult with the mountain of chocolate cake we had and the strong heat of the sun. The longer it wasn't in the fridge, the more it melted. The other problem was we were travelling by combi. Thankfully we made one of the guys be in charge of the cake so it wasn't our responsibility. We made it to the orphanage in one piece and then the celebrations began. We decorated the dining room with balloons and set up two tables for all the food so that when the kids arrived and sat down, the party could start. We had so much fun with all the children and it was so nice to see all the smiles and laughing. 


Food table!

Hugo playing the magician


Playing in the park

Jorge 







No comments:

Post a Comment