Tuesday 19 February 2013

Swinging like Tarzan

On Friday I arrived in Pucallpa, a town in the jungle. The town is quite big and pretty built up so you wouldn't really know you're in a rainforest if it weren't for the heat and heavy downpours of rain. I'm not staying in Pucallpa however, but in a small village about twenty minutes away called San Jose. There isn't a road really from Pucallpa but a red dirt track which is extremely bumpy. So if you haven't got a sore head when you leave then by the time you arrive you definitely will have!
I will be in San Jose for two weeks working with a mission programme called Kids Alive. They have a site in the village where four missionary families live and where they have class rooms, a kids home (not open yet), a playground and dorms. The site is built beside the Ucayali river which is a tributary of the Amazon. The family I'm staying with live in a house that's on the water's edge and from all the back windows they have beautiful views of the river. Each morning I've woken up and am amazed at what I can see.


My first day! - a downpour 



The view from the house


Dusk across the river








So every week about 150 kids come to the site and go to homework clubs, after school clubs or youth groups. Today was my first day with the children. I helped out at an after school club for 5-12 year olds where the children take it in turn to go down for their shower whilst the others colour and do crafts. I think there was 36 of them in total. They were so so sweet and I can't wait to spend more time with them on Wednesday and Thursday.

Two rivers boats passing by 
Sunset
I've got a busy week ahead helping out with all these different groups so I would really appreciate it if you could pray that I stay healthy while I'm here and that God will use me for his glory during this time. Also pray for the children and the different families that live and work here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Seren. Catching up with your blog. It looks you continue enjoying your time there. God is good! I'm sure you will remember this time forever. May God speak to you these days in a special way and continue blessing your time there.

    ReplyDelete