Thursday 10 January 2013

Huaca, combis and the orphanage


Today was filled with so many different things. This morning I went to these sun and moon temples with a family from Cajamarca, her parents and Chris. It was really interesting learning a bit about the history of the Moche people and it was amazing to see some new scenery. Did you know, Trujillo is actually a desert?! It was really hot as well and it didn't really help that there was hardly any shade. From these temples we walked to a place that had a pool for lunch however when we got there we quickly found out that they weren't actually serving food. No swimming today then. To get back to the church I had my first ride in a combi (a small, rickety bus filled with people, some even hanging out the side.) It was rather exciting for me. I wanted to take a photo but didn't think it was really appropriate. We went to another place for lunch so I got to try a peruvian dish- potato and spicy sauce to start, spicy fajita beef on top of rice and potato for the main. They really like their carbs here!

After lunch I went with the Twinems to an orphanage just down the road a bit. There were 26 kids ranging from the age of 2 to 16. They were so so cute giving me big hugs and massive smiles and some of them gave me a tour of the place so that was really nice to see. I was asked to teach some english classes there over summer so I think on a Friday and Saturday morning I will be doing that and I might even get to help out at a baking class! Yaaay! 

Tonight I went to the prayer meeting at the church which was really good even though I don't understand most of what's being said. Pam thankfully translated a bit for me though. Probably going to bed soon, although tonight I feel surprisingly awake compared to other nights. 
The Twinems Tortoise!!
Inside Huaca de la Luna
Huaca del Sol

1 comment:

  1. Hi Seren! Good to get your news. All sounds positive so far. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Hang on in there!
    All our love,
    Robert & Muriel.

    ReplyDelete