Tuesday 19 March 2013

Saying goodbye to the place that captured my heart



Excitement and anticipation was what filled the air during my last week in Pucallpa. Gerzon and Karina along with the rest of the team had been working hard towards Thursday afternoon for about the last three weeks now. It was the afternoon where we would give out Christmas shoeboxes to 180 children- Operation Christmas Child. Precise planning and preparation had gone into this event so that it would run smoothly.. invitations had been given out (only club kids were allowed due to the restriction of boxes), choreography for the songs had been learnt, a mime had been practiced and each of us had our own role to play so the afternoon would run as planned.

Learning the song choreography
All the children waiting for the afternoon to start


The Team


The kids started arriving at 2.30pm handing their invitations over at the gate so that we could start on time at 3.30pm. The invitations only specified that the afternoon was going to be exciting and different so as the kids came in, it was a guessing game of what was to come. The giving of the shoeboxes was the last thing of the afternoon and I’m not sure who was more excited- the team because we knew what was about to happen or the children because it was time for their big surprise. Every child was given a shoebox and then on the count of uno, dos, tres they were ripped open. Excitement, joy and cries of mira (look) filled the room. I can’t explain what it was like to be on the end of watching children receive these boxes but I know that now when I hear of shoebox appeals at home I will view them in a completely different way.


Discussing their new toys


So excited about their gifts - MIRA



Patty with her new present



Me with some of the other leaders


Friday came too quickly. Cristina and the kids (the family I was staying with) left on the early morning flight to Lima for spring break and I was joining them later on that night to spend Saturday with them in Lima before heading back to Trujillo. I spent the morning packing the final things into my case and memorising the breathtaking view that was just outside my window. I helped serve the kids lunch and then it was time for my goodbye. The children surrounded me, clinging onto any part they could reach and nearly knocking me off my feet every few seconds. We took a big group photo and then individually each of them gave me a hug. I was supposed to leave for the airport at 2.15pm (flight at 3.30pm, airport 20 minutes away) but this was when the hug giving started. They said thank you for coming and then in their best accents shouted bye as I ran back to the house to get my stuff. This was the hardest part, turning my back and running, knowing that I might not see them again. (I hope this isn’t true).


Foto, foto

Group picture :)


Saying my last goodbyes

Giving out Scottish tablet


I didn't want to let go

Pucallpa has taught me to believe in a bigger God, to be willing to serve Him with joy in every way that He asks and to be grateful for everything that is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment