Monday 1 April 2013

Markets, baths and food – 27th March


I did not come prepared for the cold of Cajamarca. For most of the first week I spent my days shivering and wishing I had more clothes. I think this was because I was so used to the heat in Pucallpa that suffocated me with every step that when I got off the bus and there was no heat, my body was in shock. You’ll be glad to know that I am now fine and can wear a t-shirt out without freezing. I do however still sleep with a hoodie and five blankets. (I make it sound like it’s the arctic, it’s really not.)


La Collpa



Standing at the top of a bell tower

The lifestyle here is very different to what I’m used to but God’s been using these new experiences to shape me in new ways and allowing me to see how another part of the world lives. I’ve loved seeing the people in their traditional dress and walking through the markets, joining in with the daily routines of so many.



Trying to find honey

Traditional dress



Family




My last week and a half has been packed with different activities and new foods.. cramming onto packed combis, (one even had a pig on it as well) buying souvenirs, listening into classes at Church, playing volleyball, watching movies with the youth, buying chickens, eating chickens, visiting the hotsprings and finally on Monday I tried what Peru is famous for: guinea pig! And I know this sounds bad but it was actually really good.

Banos del Inka


Taking a bath with water from the hot springs


Banos del Inka


On Saturday I also managed to visit Elmer’s (a guy from my church back home who is from Cajamarca) family which was really nice. They were so lovely and I’m going back for a meal on Friday which I’m looking forward to.



Before


After




Tomorrow twenty young people are coming from Trujillo and Lima to do a missions team here with the Church. I’m going to join in with them too so tonight is my last night with the family and then I’ll move into the Church for the next three days with the others. I’m excited to see what God’s going to do during this time and for all the events we’re going to hold.

Playing volley ball



Cajamarca is a beautiful place with people who have welcomed me so well and made me feel at home. Again I think I’m going to find it hard to leave. 



Cajamarca

No comments:

Post a Comment